Susan Smith, 52, used to tell herself that she wasn't that big. "I had less than 100 pounds to lose. People who needed surgery needed to be 100 pounds or more and that wasn't me, or so I thought," she said.
But the list of things she could not do, continued to grow. So she talked to her primary care doctor and her GI doctor, both of whom thought it was a good idea and both of whom recommended the Center for Bariatric Surgery at St. Vincent Charity Medical Center.
She had gone to visit another program as well, but says the other felt all wrong. When she visited St. Vincent Charity, her experience was different. "With the cross in the waiting room and the genuine care and respect of the staff, I had a peace about moving forward."
Her faith played a big role in her finally making the decision. "It was a lot of prayer and feeling God's presence that it was OK to go forward and accepting that I could not do it on my own and that was OK."
Today, she is more than two years out from surgery and down 95 pounds to a size 4. "St. Vincent Charity, the physicians and all of the staff have made the transformation possible for a long happy life," she said.
And about that list of things she couldn't do? These are the things she can do because of St. Vincent Charity.
- Getting up from the floor with ease.
- No more struggle putting on shoes and socks. I can tie my shoes like everyone else.
- No more leaning on a wall to balance when putting on pants.
- Knees don't hurt anymore.
- I don't pop buttons on my pants and everything zips up!
- I'm not out of breath going up stairs. I'm happy to run up and down.
- My feet and ankles aren't swollen anymore. I can wear cute shoes.
- My back no longer aches.
- I can sleep on my stomach and am comfortable.
- After a shower, the towel wraps all around me--nothing is exposed!
- I can wear shorts without embarrassment instead of long pants all year round.
- I can fit behind the steering wheel of a car with ease and can even reach the gas release without getting out of the car.
- I can fit in the seats at Cedar Point and the locking mechanism comes all the way down.
- I lift light weights once a week and spin on a bicycle once a week and it keeps me fit. My stomach used to be in the way with exercise.
- I never thought I could give up diet pop. but I have without a problem.
- I couldn't buy cute clothes at the mall. Now it seems like everything fits.
- I still enjoy food and you will, too!
- I have less embarrassment being in public and much more confidence.
To learn more about bariatric surgery, visit our website or view our online webinar at www.stvincentcharity.com/bariatrics.